Friday, June 22, 2012

The Graft in the Girl

As I near the end of the first season I realize that the show's naming conventions (i.e. the _____ in the _____) make it impossible for me to recall and distinguish one episode from the other. It's all like a big blur. I liked the last episode and tried to compare it to another stand out episode I've seen and could not remember any past episode I especially liked to save my life. I can't even remember the title for the last one I viewed. If it had been named Voodoo, it certainly would have stuck in my mind more. Curiously, when the titles are vague, my memory of the show's plot is similarly opaque.

Anyway, the Graft episode is centered on Amy Cullen, Booth's boss' daughter, who has been stricken with cancer. I wonder if they will follow up on this in future episodes. Will we be told if Amy lives or dies?

Booth really looks dumb compared to Brennan. I expect her to know about medicine, bones, science, etc., but she knows general detective things. She enters a room and sees a water hose and figures that there must be a drain somewhere. She finds the exact location of the drain under carpet without even having to search for it. Then she looks at the vents in the walls and feels that bone particles might have been left in the vents when they were cutting them up for illegal bone grafting.

Couldn't Booth have at least noticed the drain. Isn't that more under his line of work and observation than hers? Also, if he finds it, then it will make them look more like partners in this investigation. As it is, he just looks like the jock who is tagging along with the brain.

Hodgins continues to admire Angela. It's not a relationship I mind, but I'm not particularly interested in it either. In fact, I think I'd rather see Zach with someone, because it would all be so new to him.

When Booth shows up at the hospital, Amy says that he's ok most of the time, so he has been there frequently. It's a nice clue to give us. When it begins, it's not clear that he wants to be there. He seems to act like it's a drag to see his boss at the hospital with his daughter, but maybe he is just upset that Brennan will say the wrong thing and he's used to coming there alone, not with the squints. At first, I didn't think he was that sympathetic to Amy's plight, but he is, just not maudlin or teary about it. Then, when he is resolved about finding who was doing the grafts that were giving people cancer, even when his boss didn't want him to do it on the FBI's dime, he was determined, but not overwrought, which I guess is good. We don't need tears. But I do think we need some other kind of inlet into these peoples' emotions, because it's not in the script or in their facial expressions either, most of the time.

The ending where Amy gets to visit the Louvre through a Viewmaster device (360 degrees) is rather nice and low key.

No comments:

Post a Comment